Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hinamatsuri (Doll Festival)

Last week was my very first Hinamatsuri, or Doll Festival. Every year on March 3rd, families pray for the happiness and prosperity of their girls, helping to ensure that we grow up healthy and beautiful. The doll festival has its origin in a Chinese custom in which bad fortune is transferred to dolls and then removed by abandoning the doll on a river. Hinamatsuri is also called Momo no Sekku meaning Peach Festival. How special am I?


We took a picture with one of my friend's Hina dolls. They were so beautiful, dressed in traditional Japanese kimono from Heian Period! I heard they weigh about 44 pounds, though. That's probably why they are sitting.


My friends's mothers have made delicious Chirashi-zushi and Osekihan (Red Bean Rice)!!


I know because....


I've tasted it myself!! It was my very first Sushi, yáll! Mom, I want more of these, please.


We are playing at my friends' house. Wow, there are so many mothers in here.

When we got home, my mom had prepared me these yummy food. The Red Cloth was from Lala Gene (my Grandma in Japan)... or was it from her friend? I forgot the details, but it came from Japan. It is soooo pretty with Ohinasama and Odairisama (The emperial couple) on it. Auntie Tiffy gave me the cute Hello Kitty Cookies (which I couldn't eat....sigh). At least I get to keep the pretty cans for putting my teething rings in.

Osekihan, Karaage Chicken, and colorful Chirashi-zushi.


Last but not least.....Banana Chocolate Cheesecake!!!

These are my Kyupie dolls Ohinasama. They are so adorable, but it's too hard to chew. I've tried once and almost crack my tooth.


Auntie Tiffy and Grandma Sandy. I look upset here but I was just acting. I really did enjoy my very first Hinamatsuri! Thanks, everyone, for making this day so special.



1 comment:

lalagene said...

Hi Momo,
Great to see you enjoy your very first Hinamatsuri...Omedetou! Lots of great traditional food like sushi, osekihan and chirashi sushi, too--I'm sure you'll enjoy the same food here, too, when you come over for a visit. Can hardly wait!
Stay genki and come over soon. Matteiru ne.

Love, Lala Gene